Career Resources for LGBTQ
LGBTQ Professional Associations by Industry
Professional associations are groups of professionals dedicated to topics in specific fields. Professional associations provide a wealth of online resources, some of which are geared specifically towards students. These organizations typically also host conferences and events, providing great opportunities for learning and networking across your field of interest.
You may want to become involved with one or more of these organizations to grow your network in the field, to be connected to job and internship opportunities, to utilize their library of resources to learn more about the field, and to participate in conferences and events sponsored by the association.
Arts and Entertainment
- American Library Association Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Round Table (GLBTRT)
- committed to serving the information needs of the LGBTQIA+ professional library community, and the LGBTQIA+ information and access needs of individuals at large.
- Black Trans Femmes in the Arts mission is to create spaces for the production and preservation of Black trans art and culture by building community with Black trans femme artists and providing them with the resources and support necessary to thrive.
- Gay and Lesbian Entertainment Critics Association (GALECA) Mission to remind the world—including bullies, bigots and at-risk LGBTQ youth—that our Qmmunity, with its distinct history and perspective, often leads the way in heralding unique, powerful and exciting film and TV.
- Lambda Literary nurtures and advocates for LGBTQ writers, elevating the impact of their words to create community, preserve our legacies, and affirm the value of our stories and our lives.
- LGBT Academy of Recording Arts (LARA) Promotes the advancement and appreciation of LGBT Music, Culture, & Heritage as a recognized artform, create opportunities to support the development of young aspiring artists, increase visibility in honoring, documenting and archiving the contributions and achievements of marginalized LGBTQ artists into music & entertainment history.
- Lesbian and Gay Band Association promote LGBT Music, Visibility, and Pride for all by providing an international network of LGBT and affirming bands in all stages of development.
- National Association of Gay and Lesbian Real Estate Professionals (NAGLREP)is the number one forum for LGBT home buyers, sellers, and real estate professionals.
- National LGBT Chamber of Commerce (NGLCC) the business voice of the LGBT community, the largest advocacy organization dedicated to expanding economic opportunities and advancements for LGBT people, and the exclusive certifying body for LGBT-owned businesses.
- Start Out mission is to increase the number, diversity, and impact of LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs and amplify their stories to drive the economic empowerment of the community.
- LGBT Meeting Planners Association committed to connecting, advancing, and empowering the LGBT+ meetings and events community through education, research and idea exchange.
- Association of LGBTQ Journalists a journalist-led association working within the news media to advance fair and accurate coverage of LGBTQ communities and issues. We promote diverse and inclusive workplaces by holding the industry accountable and providing education, professional development and mentoring.
- National Communications Association – LGBTQ Caucus works in the expansion of GLBTQ issues across communication scholarship and within the political activities of NCA.
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network GLSEN advises on, advocates for, and researches comprehensive policies designed to protect LGBTQ students as well as students of marginalized identities.
- LGBT Presidents in Higher Education advances effective leadership in the realm of post-secondary education, supports professional development of LGBTQ leaders in that sector, and provides education and advocacy regarding LGBTQ issues within the global academy and for the public at large.
- National Education Association – GLBT Caucus works to provide educators, education support professionals, and students, with safe schools free of anti-LGBTQ+ bias and intolerance, and to provide sound education programs for all students.
- Gays and Lesbians in Foreign Affairs Agencies Proudly advancing diversity and equity in U.S. foreign affairs agencies and promoting LGBT human rights around the world
Lesbian and Gay Congressional Staff Association The official, nonpartisan Congressional organization that is dedicated to advancing the interests of all its members and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community at large in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Out in National Security advances our community's interests by seeking outcomes and goals that positively impact the lives of today's and tomorrow's LGBTQIA+ national security practitioners.
- US Department of Justice Pride the recognized employee resource organization for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ+) employees and their allies in all U.S. Department of Justice Offices, Boards, and Divisions; the ATF, BOP, DEA, FBI, USMS, OJP, and USAO; and contractors in any of these components.
- AMA LGBT Advisory Committee highlights LGBTQ news and topics related to patients and physicians.
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Section on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health and Wellness Pediatrics journal section on LGBT issues around health and wellness.
- American Medical Student Association: Gender and Sexuality Action Committee
- American Psychological Association Gender & Sexuality Action Committee is dedicated to combating sexism and heterosexism, and to assuring equal access to medical care and equality within medical education.
- American Public Health Association LGBT Caucus of Public Health Professionals The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) Health Caucus is an association of public health professionals committed to furthering LGBTQ issues within the APHA and the field of public health at large.
- Association of Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists a community of psychiatrists that educates and advocates on LGBTQ+ mental health issues.
- Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Addiction Professionals (NALGAP)is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of alcoholism, substance abuse, and addictions in LGBT communities.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association committed to ensuring health equity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) and all sexual and gender minority (SGM) individuals, and equality for LGBTQ/SGM health professionals in their work and learning environments.
- GLMA Nursing Serves to facilitate the development and implementation of specific actions to advance LGBTQ health issues within nursing practice, research, education and organizational policy.
- Pride Veterinary Medical Community The mission and purpose of PrideVMC is to create a better world for the LGBTQ+ veterinary community.
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health Mission is to promote evidence based care, education, research, public policy, and respect in transgender health.
Law, Law Enforcement and Public Service
- GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) works to create a just society free of discrimination based on gender identity and expression, HIV status, and sexual orientation.
- International Association of LGBT Judges provides an opportunity for judicial officers to meet and exchange views and to promote education among its members and among the general public on legal and judicial issues related to the gay and lesbian community.
- International EMS & Firefighters LGBTQ Pride Alliance representing and supporting lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender emergency medical and fire service professionals and volunteers around the world.
- International Lesbian and Gay Law Association is committed to providing information and policy ideas to advance our cause worldwide.
- National Association of Social Workers – Committee on LGBT Issues develops, reviews, and monitors programs of the Association that significantly affect gay men, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgender people.
- National LGBT Bar Association and Foundation a national association of lawyers, judges and other legal professionals, law students, activists, and affiliated lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender legal organizations. The LGBT Bar promotes justice in and through the legal profession for the LGBTQ+ community in all its diversity.
- Out to Protect Mission is to create a greater awareness of the gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender professionals working in law enforcement and to support those pursuing a law enforcement career.
Transgender Community of Police and Sheriffs – TCOPS a peer-support group who also educates law enforcement, public safety organizations, and individuals on issues relating to gender identity and gender transition in the workplace.
Science and Engineering
- National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP)is a professional society for LGBT people in science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)empowers LGBTQ people in STEM to succeed personally, academically, and professionally.
- Pride in STEM goal is to raise the profile of LGBT+ people in science, technology, engineering and math/medicine (STEM) as well as to highlight the struggles LGBTSTEM people often face.
- Lesbians Who Tech connecting queer women, non-binary, and trans techies, and building a network of colleagues and friends in the industry to increase visibility and representation.
- LGBTECH an organization of professionals dedicated to enriching a strong community and to promote diversity and inclusion for LGBT+.
- Out in Tech unites the LGBTQ+ tech community by creating opportunities for members to advance their careers, grow their networks, and leverage tech for social change.
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)empowers LGBTQ people in STEM to succeed personally, academically, and professionally
- TransTech mission is to empower, educate, and employ those facing barriers in education and in the work place, as well as to reduce instances of discrimination, with a concentration on trans and gender non conforming individuals.
Travel and Transportation
- International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association provide free travel resources and information while continuously working to promote equality and safety within LGBTQ+ tourism worldwide.
- National Gay Pilots Association (NGPA)is committed to build, support, and unite the global LGBT aviation community through education, social events, and outreach programs.
- Association for Queer Anthropology (AQA) serves the interests of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and other queer and allied anthropologists in the American Anthropological Association.
- American Alliance of Museums – LGBTQ Alliance provides a forum for communication and dialogue and is committed to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and inquiry with particular respect to sexual orientation and gender identity within museums.
The following associations are less professional associations by industry and more advocacy associations for LGBTQ+ rights and equity. They may be valuable for information and participation, as well as for leadership training, legal information, knowledge of opportunities, and career assistance.
- GLAAD As a dynamic media force, GLAAD tackles tough issues to shape the narrative and provoke dialogue that leads to cultural change.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) strives to end discrimination against LGBTQ people and realize a world that achieves fundamental fairness and equality for all. HRC envisions a world where lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people are ensured equality and embraced as full members of society at home, at work and in every community.
- The LGBT National Help Center Serving the LGBTQ&Q community by providing free and confidential peer-support and local resources.
Pride at Work seeks full equality without restrictions or barriers for LGBTQIA+ individuals in our workplaces, unions, and communities, creating a Labor Movement that cherishes diversity, promotes inclusion, encourages openness, and ensures safety & dignity. We do this through education, alliances, and building solidarity across our large and diverse communities.
Point Foundation, College Scholarships – Point Foundation (Point), the nation’s largest scholarship-granting organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) students of merit, offers the expansion of its community college scholarship program. Point offers the next generation of LGBTQ leaders two-years of financial support at community colleges.
Brown and Caldwell, LGBTQ Scholarships – This organizations offers a $5,000 LGBTQ Scholarship to support students who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or questioning, and who are interested in pursuing a career in the environmental profession.
American Chemistry Society, Scholars Program - The ACS Scholars Program awards renewable scholarships to under-represented and minority students majoring in undergraduate chemistry-related disciplines, and are also intending to pursue careers in chemistry-related fields.
National LGBT Health Education Center – This center provides educational programs, resources, and consultation to health care organizations with the goal of optimizing quality, cost-effective health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, and all sexual and gender minority (LGBTQIA+) people.
Campus Pride - Campus Pride is the leading national nonprofit organization for student leaders and campus groups working to create a safer college environment for LGBTQ students and is a volunteer-driven network. The aim of this organization is to develop necessary resources, programs and services to support LGBTQ and ally students on college campuses across the United States.
LGBT Resource Center - LGBT educational exercises are available on this webpage of the Center’s website. They may be helpful in educational situations as ice breakers, generate discussions, activities or even create a full program around.
The Trevor Project - The Trevor Project’s Trainings for Professionals include in-person programs designed for adults who work with youth. These programs help counselors, educators, administrators, school nurses, and social workers discuss LGBTQ-competent suicide prevention.
Nurses HEAL-Elders - Accredited schools of nursing have no requirement to explore LGBTQ health disparities. This organization offers a curriculum that focuses on teaching cultural competency in the care of LGBT older adults.
LGBTQ Teach-In Toolkit – This .pdf file represents the guidelines and ‘toolkit’ educators, teachers, leaders, communities, parents and others who wish to design and host a Teach-In to support African American LGBTQ Youth.
Networking and Associations
American Chemical Society, Gay and Transgender Chemists and Allies (GTCA) – Individuals of all orientations and genders are welcome to join this subdivision of the ACS. The common ground is the commitment to and support of the subdivision goals – promote inclusion, educate society, collaborate with organizations relative to uniqueness of LGBTQ, Maintain a long term collaborative relationship with National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals.
National LGBT Chamber of Commerce – This organization is the business voice of the LGBT community, the largest advocacy organization dedicated to expanding economic opportunities and advancements for LGBT people, and the exclusive certifying body for LGBT-owned businesses.
ActionLink – This organization seeks to support LGBTQ+ community centers and the people they serve to act as effective and powerful champions, protecting the social services, health care, programming, and funding necessary for LGBTQ+ communities to thrive.
Consortium of Higher Education, Find an LBGTQ Center – Use this map to locate an LBGTQ Center. Each office/center is professionally run by at least one paid professional staff or graduate assistant directing LGBTQ resources.
Center Link, The Community of LGBT Centers – The centers represented by this organization, Center Link, aim to develop strong LGBT centers and healthy LGBT communities. Use the map to locate a center or scroll through the center locations by state.
LGBTQ Funders – This organization works to increase the scale and impact of philanthropic resources aimed at enhancing the well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer communities, promoting equity, and advancing racial, economic and gender justice.
American Psychological Association, Just the Facts - This group of national education, health, mental health and religious organizations believe that all students should have an opportunity to learn and develop in a safe and supportive environment. Just the Facts provides information and resources for principals, educators and school personnel who confront sensitive issues involving gay, lesbian and bisexual students.
Stonewall Acceptance without exception.
Start ups and Entrepreneurs
StartOut - StartOut’s mission is to increase the number, diversity, and impact of LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs and amplify their stories to drive the economic empowerment of the community.
SBA, LGBT-Owned Business - SBA's Network for LGBT Businesses aims to bring focus on economic empowerment in the LGBT business community by providing access to the SBA's programs and services.
Alice – This organization shares information on networks, organizations, and technical assistance specifically designed to support LGBTQ entrepreneurs. Get connected with accelerators, funding opportunities, certification tools and more provided to direct you to various forms of support.
The Center on Colfax – This organization works to connect the community via diverse communications, vibrant programs, essential resources, and creating opportunities for LGBTQ people to be seen and heard.