Career Resources for Women
The Career Resources for Women page offers information on many organizations, colleges, foundations and opportunities dedicated to the career and educational advancement of women.
Women’s Professional Associations by Industry
Professional associations are groups of professionals dedicated to topics in specific fields. Professional associations provide a wealth of online resources, some of which are geared specifically towards students. These organizations typically also host conferences and events, providing great opportunities for learning and networking across your field of interest.
You may want to become involved with one or more of these organizations to grow your network in the field, to be connected to job and internship opportunities, to utilize their library of resources to learn more about the field, and to participate in conferences and events sponsored by the association.
Arts and Entertainment
- Alliance of Women Directors committed to substantially increasing the number of working women-identifying and gender nonbinary directors in film, television, commercials and new media.
- Alliance for Women Film Composers aims to increase the visibility of women composers active in media scoring.
- Alliance of Women Film Journalists purpose is to amplify the voices of women critics, provide a platform for the expression of women’s perspectives on film and support work by and about women – both in front of and behind the cameras.
- National Association of Black Female Executives in Music & Entertainment (NABFEME) mission is to raise the profile, increase awareness, and magnify the number of economic opportunities women of color experience in entertainment.
- International Alliance for Women in Music (IAWM) increases opportunity and visibility for women in music.
- Women's Caucus for Art (WCA) committed to recognizing the contribution of women in the arts.
- Women in Film advocates for a advances the careers of women working in the screen industries—to achieve parity and transform culture.
- Women in Entertainment nonprofit organization designed to reach women across the country working in and aspiring to work in the entertainment industry.
- American Business Women’s Association (ABWA)is the place to be for working women and women business owners who want to connect, learn and grow personally and professionally.
- Accounting & Financial Women’s Alliance mission is to enable women in all accounting and finance fields to achieve their full potential and to contribute to their profession.
- Association of Professional Insurance Women (APIW)mission is to provide women insurance professionals with opportunities for professional development and assistance in advancing their careers.
- Association of Women in International Trade (WIIT) works to promote the professional development of women in international trade and business and to raise public awareness of the importance of international trade to economic development.
- Business and Professional Women (BPW) Foundation: supports workforce development programs and workplace policies that recognize the diverse needs of working women, communities and businesses.
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW): exists to transform the commercial real estate industry by advancing women globally.
- Financial Women International (FWI) serves women in banking and financial services.
- National Association for Female Executives (NAFE)one of the country’s largest associations for women professionals and business owners, providing resources – through education, networking, and public advocacy- to empower women to achieve both career and personal success.
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)the only dues-based organization representing the interests of all women entrepreneurs across all industries; and with chapters across the country.
- National Association of Women Sales Professionals The mission of the NAWSP is to help women in sales develop and thrive through networking, professional development, and mentorship.
- Office of Women's Business Ownership mission is to enable and empower women entrepreneurs through advocacy, outreach, education and support.
- Women Presidents' Organization (WPO) mission is to accelerate business growth, enhance competitiveness, and promote economic security through confidential and collaborative peer-learning groups.
- Alliance for Women in Media (AWM) - committed to supporting women across all media segments, to expand networks, educate and celebrate accomplishments.
- Association for Women in Communications (AWC)champions the advancement of women across all communications disciplines.
- Association for Women in Sports Media--a support network and advocacy group for women who work in sports media (reporting, editing, broadcast, media relations, etc.).
- National Federation of Press Women represents professionals and students working across the communications spectrum in the United States.
- Organization of Professional Women in Public Relations - is an influential network of leading business women striving for excellence in the field of public relations.
- Federally Employed Women (FEW)is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to promoting equality for women and addressing concerns of women in the Federal workforce.
- League of Women in Government supports local and statewide organizations that advance women in local government senior executive leadership.
- Women In Government serves as a member-informed, policy-driven organization leading the nation with a bold, courageous and passionate vision to empower and mobilize all women state legislators to drive sound policy.
- Women In Government Relations is dedicated to advancing and empowering women by fostering professional development and growth opportunities through a community that supports women’s leadership in government relations.
- Women in International Security is the premier organization in the world dedicated to advancing the leadership and professional development of women in the field of international peace and security.
- American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA)empowers women to lead in improving health for all within a model that reflects the unique perspective of women.
- Association of Women Surgeons (AWS)is committed to inspire, encourage, and enable women surgeons to realize their professional and personal goals.
- Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN)is accredited with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development.
- American Association for Women Radiologists Mission to provide a forum for issues unique to women in radiology, radiation oncology and related professions; to sponsor programs that promote opportunities for women and to facilitate communication among members and other professionals.
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, Academy for Women in Academic Emergency Medicine promotes the recruitment, retention, advancement and leadership of women in academic emergency medicine.
- Women in Endocrinology is an organization devoted to promoting and facilitating the professional development and advancement of women in the field of Endocrinology.
- Women in Nephrology strives to aid women in developing exciting careers in the field of renal disease.
- Women in Ophthalmology serves to enhance and improve the professional environment for women opthamologists.
- International Association of Women Chefs & Restaurateurs’ (WCR)advances the voice of women across the culinary industry through education, connection, promotion, and inspiration.
- Network of Executive Women in Hospitality (NEWH) brings together professionals from all facets of the hospitality industry by providing opportunities for education, professional development and networking.
- Women Chefs & Restaurateurs (WCR)advances the voice of women across the culinary industry through education, promotion, connection, and inspiration.
- Women’s Hospitality Initiative To accelerate the development and advancement of women leaders in the restaurant industry.
- Women in Tourism and Hospitality operates as a network of collaborative-curated community members, who all use the network to leverage platforms for leadership and expansion of women’s training in removing barriers towards an equal society.
- Women of the Vine & Spirits (WOTVS)is dedicated to empowering and advancing women in the alcohol beverage industry.
Law, Law Enforcement and Public Service
- American Bar Association Women in the Profession The mission is to secure full and equal participation of women in the ABA, the profession and the justice system.
- International Association of Women Police is committed to strengthen, unite and raise the capacity of women in policing internationally.
- National Association of Women Law Enforcement Executives mission is to serve and further the interests of women executives and those who aspire to be executives in law enforcement.
- National Association of Women Lawyers: NAWL mission to provide leadership, a collective voice, and essential resources to advance women in the legal profession and advocate for the equality of women under the law.
- Women in Federal Law Enforcement Mission is to increase the recruitment, retention and promotion of women in federal law enforcement.
Science and Engineering
- Association for Women in Science (AWIS)is dedicated to achieving equity and full participation for women in science, mathematics, engineering and technology.
- IEEE Women in Engineering – IEEE-- is a global network of IEEE members and volunteers dedicated to promoting women engineers and scientists, and inspiring girls around the world to follow their academic interests in a career in engineering and science.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)is a not-for-profit educational and service organization that empowers women to succeed and advance in the field of engineering.
- Society of Women Environmental Professionals (SWEP)is a national non-profit professional association of women involved or interested in environmental law, science, business, and policy.
- WEPAN (Women in Engineering ProActive Network)-- mission is to advance cultures of inclusion and diversity in engineering education and professions
- Women in Aerospace (WIA) is dedicated to increasing the leadership capabilities and visibility of women in the aerospace community.
- Women in Global Science and Technology (WIGSAT)-- is an international non-profit which promotes science, technology and innovation to support women and men to participate actively in national knowledge societies.
- Women in Technology International (WITI)empowers women worldwide through technology, leadership and economic prosperity.
- Association for Women in Computing: Serves programmers analysts technical writers and entrepreneurs. Contact the national headquarters for local information.
- Women Who Code-mission is to inspire women to excel in technology careers.
- She++seeks to dismantle the untrue stereotype that computer science is not a career for women and works with the technology industry to create a culture that is more appealing to women, and with women to dismantle harmful perceptions that they cannot succeed in the technology industry.
- mBoldenaims to lift women’s voices in the mobile, digital marketing and online industries and to give women more visibility.
- League of Women Coders is a grassroots collective that focusses on coding, hacking, and learning together.
- Girls Who Code is on a mission to close the gender gap in technology and to change the image of what a programmer looks like and does.
- Girls in Techis a nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating the gender gap in tech.
- Black Girls Codemission is to introduce programming and technology to a new generation of coders, coders who will become builders of technological innovation and of their own futures.
- Girl Develop It is a nonprofit organization that creates welcoming, supportive opportunities for women and non-binary adults to learn software development skills.
- Anita Borg Institute supports women in technical fields, as well as the organizations that employ them and the academic institutions training the next generation.
- Association for Women in Aviation Maintenance (AWAM)is a membership organization dedicated to promoting networking, education, and fostering a sense of community for women in the industry.
- National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)is an international association that promotes the advancement and employment of women in the construction industry.
- Women In Trucking (WIT)is a non-profit organization with the mission to encourage the employment of women in the trucking industry.
The following associations are less professional associations by industry and more advocacy associations for women’s rights and equity. They may be valuable for information and participation, as well as for leadership training, legal information, knowledge of opportunities, and career assistance.
Women’s Diversity Network (WDN) connects and mobilizes women of different backgrounds to create positive changes through a more unified sisterhood.
Women in Listed Derivatives (WILD) promotes networking and relationship-building among women in our industry through social and educational events.
National Women’s Studies Association (NWSA) leads the field of women’s studies in educational and social transformation.
International Association of Women (IAW) is a networking platform that provides women with the forum, education, and services to thrive in an interconnected world.
American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting education and equity for women and girls with a network of more than 170,000 members.
AARP Foundation, Women’s Scholarship Program - Helps low-income women win back opportunity. The Foundation’s scholarship program funds education, training and skills upgrades, leading to better employment opportunities and increased financial security for women and their families.
Networking and Associations
Association of Women’s Business Centers (AWBC) – This national network of over 100 Women’s Business Centers is a non-profit organization that works to secure economic justice and entrepreneurial opportunities for women. WBC assists women on their journey to success by providing training, mentoring, business development and financing opportunities.
Women in Aerospace – WIA has a mission of expanding women’s opportunities for leadership and increasing their visibility in the aerospace business community. Membership is comprised of both women and men who share an interest in a broad range of sector issues. WIA organizes and sponsors events via web and teleconference in addition to conferences and meetings around the world.
ColorComm, Women of Color in Communication – ColorComm, Inc. is the nation’s leading women’s platform addressing diversity & inclusion across the communications, marketing, advertising, and media industries. It is a national professional membership organization with a mission of personally connecting women with other like-minded individuals and building a strong network of leaders by creating mentors, business relationships and friendships.
Alliance for Women In Media – This organization’s aim is to connect, recognize and inspire women across the media industry. It is a group formed by women for women and committed to supporting their members in all media sectors, to expand their networks, educate and celebrate their accomplishments.
Women’s Caucus for Art – The WCA’s aim is to create community through art, education and social activism. Women’s contributions in the arts are recognized. Leadership opportunities and professional development are advocated.
American Women’s Society of Certified Public Accountants (AWSCPA) – Being a member of this organization means you are a part of a network that is over 400,000 strong and you receive support and guidance for the work you do every day. You are encouraged to be challenged to seize that next career milestone. Here is a link to a list of AICPA career sector openings.
American Medical Women’s Association – This organization is made up of physicians, residents, medical students, pre-medical students, healthcare professionals and supporters. Its mission is to advance women in medicate, advocate for equity and ensure excellence in healthcare.
The Association for Women in Communications (AWC) – A professional organization that champions the advancement of women across all communications disciplines. It recognized and acknowledges excellence, promotes leadership and works hard to position members at the forefront of the evolving communications era.
American Business Women’s Association (ABWC) – While women’s opportunities and pay in the business sector have evolved, there is still work to be done…..This organization brings together business women of diverse occupations for the purpose of helping themselves and helping others growth personally and professionally through leadership, education, networking support and national recognition. Check out the more than 5,000 networking meetings hosted each year across the nation.
Career Girls - Career Girls is founded on the dream that every girl around the world has access to diverse and accomplished women role models to learn from their experiences and discover their own path to empowerment.
National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) – This is a dues-based organization that represents the interests of all women entrepreneurs across all industries. Their claim is far-reaching clout and impact that propels women business owners into better economic, social and political ranges of power.
Startup and Entrepreneurship
SBA Office of Women Business Ownership (WBC) – Advocacy, outreach, education and support are the means of empowerment for women entrepreneurs. Comprehensive training and counseling on a range of topics help women start and grow their own business. Management and technical assistance is also provided by the WBC
SCORE, The Business Startup Roadmap – Thinking of starting your own business? It could be an exciting journey. As you begin, there are a few things you may want to acquaint yourself with to reach your destination. Think about participating in this virtual adventure (tutorial) to help chart a course toward success.
Astia – Founded in Silicon Valley in 1999 as a non-profit, this organization is dedicated to identifying and promoting high-growth ventures that include women leaders. Astia provides a creative and proven approach that contributes to the success of women leaders and their ventures.
U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Startup Ideas – Ready to start your own business venture? The Chamber of Commerce profiles many start-up business ideas, one of which maybe just right for you.
Education and Development
Forte Foundation – Here is a community of motivated and inspiration women who are transforming leadership in every field in industry. Members from diverse background, industries and career stages unite to help launch you into fulfilling, significant careers. This is accomplished via guidance toward business education, professional development and a community of women who have achieved success in their sector.
Girl Develop It (GDI) – Don’t be shy. Develop it! Here is a nonprofit organization that provides affordable programs for adult women and non-binary individuals to learn web and software development in a judgement free environment.
Women’s Business Development Council – The WBDC is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing the tools and resources to help women thrive in business. Virtual chats with interactive A&A, resources and advice help keep women moving forward during these challenging times.
Career Girls, College Majors and Requirements - What subjects interest you? Do you already have a career in mind? There is so much to think about when choosing a college major. This website is a great place to begin.
Dress for Success – At work, never show bare shoulders! Don’t wear open-toed shoes! Stay away from wearing slacks! Are these statements myths or truths? This organization is a nonprofit and seeks to empower women to achieve economic independence by providing a network of support, professional attire and the development tools to help you thrive in work and in life.
American Management Association, Online Leadership Development for Women - As a woman in business, you are in a great position to achieve your goals and meet your obligations head-on. Building essential business skills will give you greater advantage in your marketplace sector. Check out AMA’s courses and seminars designed for those interested in leadership roles and career advancement.
Girls Who Code – Diversity, equity and inclusion are valued and essential to the mission of Girls Who Code. The focus is not only on gender diversity but also on young women who historically have been underrepresented in the computer science fields. The initiatives include club, college programs and summer immersion sessions.
Construction Careers for Women