Painting/Painter and Wall Coverer Major

A program that prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to finish exterior and interior structural surfaces by applying protective or decorative coating materials, such as paint, lacquer, and wallpaper.

Includes instruction in surface preparation; selecting, preparing, and applying paints and other coatings; hanging wallpaper; equipment operation and maintenance; finish selection; safety and clean-up; environmental effects on finishes; adhesion properties; and applicable codes and standards.

Learn more

Search for schools that offer studies in Painting/Painter and Wall Coverer (use the College Search feature and enter "painter” or “wall coverer” in the major search field). Read the school’s department pages, they are often loaded with useful and specific information about the field.

What can you do with a major/degree in Painting/Painter and Wall Coverer Studies?

A high school diploma or equivalent is typically required to enter this career area. There are no formal education requirements to become a painter or wall coverer. Some technical schools offer optional certificate programs.

The expected increase in new construction activity will continue to create a need for painters (both construction and decorative) and wallpaper installers. Investors who sell or lease properties also will require painters’ services.

Trade Associations and Professional Organizations in Painting/Painter and Wall Coverer Studies

Professional associations are groups of professionals dedicated to topics in specific fields. Professional associations provide a wealth of online resources, some of which are geared specifically towards students. These organizations typically also host conferences and events, providing great opportunities for learning and networking across your field of interest.

Publications/Magazines Painting/Painter and Wall Coverer Studies